Thursday we warmed up with the famous Venetian Court on the banks of the mighty Soquel Creek (currently not very 'mighty' but its tranquil repose offered a mirrored surface for Venetian Court reflections). After painting on the beach for 5 stimulating (and exhausting) hours we adjourned to member Shirley and Augie Motmans' beautiful bluff top home for a pot-luck appetizer & dessert meal (organized and coordinated by Marilyn Perry) followed by one of Karen Druker's "Gentle (yet perceptive) Critiques".
Then, if that wasn't enough Color, on Friday we met on the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk where even more color and a wild variety of things, most designed to entertain children, worked the same magic on us artists. Altho' most of the Boardwalk rides weren't operating, there were enough tourists to give life to the place which made it just perfect. Getting hungry and maybe a bit tired, we packed up and headed to Jane Ferguson's home (which is actually an art gallery where Jane and her husband just happen to live). (Note, Jane is participating in the Santa Cruz Open Studios the weekends of October 1-2 and October 15-16. Visit if you're in the area.) Wrapping things up, happily Karen still had enough energy for another 'Gentle Critique'.
I can hardly wait for next year.
For more information about Capitola, see: http://capitolavillage.com/
For more information about the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, see:
- Thursday, September 29, 2016: Loma Prieta Winery, Summit Rd., Los Gatos
- Thursday, October 6, 2016: Ardenwood Historic Farm, Fremont
- Thursday, October 13, 2016: Clos LaChance Winery, San Martin
- Saturday, October 15, 2016: Ardenwood Historic Farm, Fremont
- Thursday, October 20, 2016: Cowell Redwoods SP, Felton. Lunch at member's home in Ben Lomond
- Thursday, October 27, 2016: Senior Safari Walkabout - Happy Hollow Zoo, San Jose. Note: 9:00 start time.
Ongoing activities of interest involving Paintsites regulars:
- John Ediger will be gallery-sitting at the Az Gallery (1213 Lincoln Ave., San Jose) on Friday, September 30th from 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM. Stop by and say 'hello'.
- Candy Yu is currently showing 18 watercolor pet portraits at the VCA Crocker Animal Hospital, 475 N. Jackson Ave., San Jose. Most of her artwork is in the reception area and hallways and can viewed by the public. The Hospital is open Mon. - Fri. 7:00 AM - 8:00 PM; Sat. & Sun. 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM. The exhibit runs thru the end of October.
- SCVWS members Annie Haines, Mary Raftery, and Uma Kelkar were accepted into Fioli's "The Valley of Heart’s Delight: A Multiple–media Exhibit" which runs thru October 23rd in the Visitor & Education Center. A 'Closing Reception' will be held Thursday, October 20th from 5:00 - 7:00 PM. This event is free but reservations are required by October 14th and can be obtained at: http://www.filoli.org/art-exhibits/ or 650-364-8300, x 508.
- Jane Ferguson and Nancy Calhoun are currently presenting 'Line & Shape' (mixed water media & encaustic) at Viewpoints Gallery, 315 State St. in Los Altos http://www.viewpointsgallery.com/ . Hours are Mon. - Sat. 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM; Sun. 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM. The show runs thru October 1st.
- Jane Ferguson is participating in the Santa Cruz County Open Studios Art Tour on Saturday & Sunday, October 1 -2 with an encore weekend on October 15 - 16. Hours are 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM. Jane is Artist #86 - 3540 Marilyn St., Santa Cruz.
- Mike Granger has two paintings in the Fremont Art Association's 50th Annual Art Show. The Association Gallery is located at 37697 Niles Boulevard, Fremont. Normal hours are: Tue. 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM; Wed. 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM; Thu. 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM; and Fri. - Sun. 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM. The show opens Tuesday, September 27th and runs thru' Sunday, October 30th. The Opening Reception is Sunday, October 2nd from 1:30 - 4:00 PM.
Day 1. Capitola Beach: Blue skies, a gentle breeze, mild temperatures - the conditions were optimum for a great day of plein air painting.
The Venetian Court: Always a favorite subject ...
|Artists and the Venetian Court face off across Soquel Creek. The Court dares us to paint her. Were we up to her challenge? You bet we were ...|
|Artists on the beach as seen from the bridge over Soquel Creek. (photo by Mary R.)|
|Allen. He forgot his hat so improvised in the best tradition of plein air artists. (Hopefully that isn't the same handkerchief that Cathy B. used at Hidden Villa a few years ago to protect her feet from sunburn.)|
|Allen's Venetian Court in pastel.|
|Alison took an afternoon off from work in order to join us.|
|Alison's unfinished Venetian Court painting.|
|John and Jenny, recently returned from England|
|Jenny's painting of the Venetian Court.|
|And Annie's ...|
|... and Helen's (unfinished) ...|
|... and Jane K.'s tiny little painting ...|
|... and Jane K.'s big, bold painting ...|
|... and this one by John E. ...|
|... and Katherine's ...|
|... and Lisha's ...|
|... and Lois' journal entry ...|
|... and Marilyn's ...|
|... and Mike's (unfinished) ...|
|... and Salinda's ...|
|... and Sherrie's ...|
|... and Jane P.'s. (Her palette was crying for mercy after the workout Jane put it thru for this painting!)|
|Karen used smaller paper this year but didn't skimp on pigment for her abstract take on the Venetian Court.|
|Karen's second painting was all about the colors of the Venetian Court.|
Not the Venetian Court: There were other things to paint:
|Dick's painting of the back of Esplanade restaurants right on the creek.|
|Helen's second painting - this of the breaking surf.|
|Mary R. on the beach.|
|Mary's unfinished painting of a lifeguard tower on Capitola Beach and the coastline stretching towards Monterey.|
|Dalene on the beach.|
|Alison's painting of the Capitola Wharf.|
|Some keep painting while most of us ate lunch.|
Karen's Critique: After a mini-critique for those who weren't able to remain for the pot-luck, the rest of us headed to Shirley's for dinner and Karen's "Gentle Critique":
|Karen gave Jane P.'s painting a Five Star, A+ rating. We all agreed.|
|Jane K.'s little painting was worth a close look and another top grade.|
|Karen applauded Alison's choice of an unconventional subject/composition presented in an unconventional format.|
|Lois' journal entry earned the same kudos.|
|Dalene's gargoyles guarding the entrance to the Haunted Castle on the Boardwalk.|
|Brad's paintings of the nasty looking gargoyles.|
|Jane still had enough pigment remaining to paint this bright collection of rides, food booths, and the Big Dipper.|
|John E. and Katherine share a table on the Boardwalk.|
|John E.'s painting of Steamer Lane from Cowell Beach.|
|Karen, paper (full sheet this time) stretched on a picnic table, gets ready to start painting.|
|Karen's first painting captures lots of Santa Cruz symbols.|
|Karen's second painting (on Yupo) of the ocean and shoreline fading away towards Monterey.|
|Mike set up on the beach for this painting of a beach sleeper.|
|Mike also turned to the ocean, looking down the coast, for his second painting.|
|Brad's sketch of the Coconut Grove, Casino and arcade shops.|
Day 2 Critique: Wrapping up a little after 3:00 PM, we headed for Jane's home where we ate (first things first) and enjoyed another "Gentle Critique" by Karen.
|Karen wondered if "Maybe this could be cropped just a bit?" The consensus was "No" as there was some interesting texture in the foreground.|
|John had two paintings on one sheet. For some reason Karen felt it would be best to completely cover the top one while we examined the bottom one.|
|Karen explains the symbolism in her painting.|
|Karen sums up everybody's feelings about the 2016 Annual Santa Cruz Paintout!|