Always wanted to paint lavender fields in Provence? Save your money and visit Sierra Azul in Watsonville instead -- there you'll find a large lavender field (in magnificent bloom right now), a wide selection of water-wise plants (succulents, grasses, natives, & mediterraneans) in a handsomely arranged retail setting and in a mature demonstration garden. There are some small sculptures in the retail nursery but the majority are found in the demonstration garden where they're just begging to be discovered and painted --- we did our part: we did both.
For more information about Sierra Azul Nursery (and Sculpture Garden), see their official website:
(They can also be found on Facebook)
- Thursday, June 30, 2016: Duc Vien Buddhist Pagoda, San Jose
- Thursday, July 7, 2016: Shoreline Park, Mt. View
- Thursday, July 14, 2016: Maison du Lac, Los Gatos
- Thursday, July 21, 2016: New Almaden Historic District, San Jose
- Thursday, July 28, 2016: Downtown Los Altos with potluck lunch to follow at a member's nearby home.
Events of interest involving Paintsites regulars:
- Richard Bloechl's watercolors will be on display thru the end of June at the Campbell Library in downtown Campbell (77 Harrison Ave., adjacent to the Ainsley House). Open Mon. - Tue. 1 - 9PM; Wed. 10AM - 9PM and Thu. - Sat. 10AM - 6PM. (See Rich's website link in the right sidebar.)
- Candy Yu has a one-woman show in the Cupertino Library, 10800 Torre Ave., in the Cupertino Civic Center Plaza. Hours are: Mon. - Thu. 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM; Fri. - Sat. 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM; and Sun. noon - 6:00 PM. The show runs thru August 6th.
- Mary Raftery and Laurie Barna each had a painting accepted to the Haggin Art Museum's 59th Annual Juried National Exhibition. The Haggin Art Museum is located in Stockton and the show runs July 7, 2016 - September 11, 2016.
It was tough to ignore the sculptures in the Demonstration Garden - most of us couldn't resist their allure ....
|Dick (that's Lisa over his right shoulder and the lavender field in the distant background.)|
|Dick's trio of sculptures with succulent accessories.|
|Lisa's painting of one of the numerous ceramic totem poles (?) and blue jar.|
|Alan's painting of an abstract sculpture (right) and a big ceramic jar/sculpture.|
|Marilyn (Thursday Paintsites co-coordinator).|
|Since taking the SCVWS Journaling Workshop, Marilyn had done some serious "journaling". These were her first three entries for the day.|
|Page 2 of Marilyn's journal entry for 6/23/16|
|Brad (Thursday Paintsites co-coordinator) (photo by Salinda)|
|Brad's painting of "Dragonfly and Mayflies" by LMNO Arts. (The dragonfly has about a 6' wingspan!)|
Escaping the pull of the sculptures was ....
|Salinda, a keen gardener in her own right, who went for the flowers ...|
|Salinda's lush garden painting.|
And Lisha and Annie who found the huge cactus bordering the driveway most interesting...
|Annie (left) and Lisha|
|Annie's painting of a fan palm and a large cactus.|
|Lisha's painting of the same.|
Time for lunch then our critique...
|Setting up for our 'show-and-share' critique.|