For information about San Jose's Happy Hollow Park & Zoo, see:
For information specifically about the Senior Safaris at the Happy Hollow Zoo, see:
(Thursday was the last 2016 Senior Safari -- hopefully the program will restart in 2017.)
- Thursday, November 3, 2016: Japanese Garden, San Mateo Central Park, San Mateo.
- Thursday, November 10, 2016: Historic Santa Clara RR Depot, Santa Clara.
- Thursday, November 17, 2016: "Kids & Artists" - Hidden Villa, Los Altos Hills.
- Saturday, November 19, 2016: "Kids & Artists" - Hidden Villa, Los Altos Hills.
Ongoing activities of interest involving Paintsites regulars:
- Candy Yu is currently showing 18 watercolor pet portraits at the VCA Crocker Animal Hospital, 475 N. Jackson Ave., San Jose. Most of her artwork is in the reception area and hallways and can viewed by the public. Ask the reception if it's OK to see artwork in the exam rooms. The Hospital is open Mon. - Fri. 7:00 AM - 8:00 PM; Sat. & Sun. 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM. The exhibit runs thru Sunday, October 30th.
- Mike Granger has two paintings in the Fremont Art Association's 50th Annual Art Show. The Association Gallery is located at 37697 Niles Boulevard, Fremont. Hours are: Tue. 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM; Wed. 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM; Thu. 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM; and Fri. - Sun. 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM. The show runs thru Sunday, October 30th.
- Candy Yu is showing 17 original paintings & canvas prints at Foothill Presbyterian Church, 5301 McKee Rd. San Jose. Call the church (408) 258-8133 before visiting to make sure the show will be accessible. The show runs thru the end of December.
|Marilyn at the Meerkat habitat. The little fellows, cozy in their underground dens, were not to be seen, or sketched most of the day.|
|Marilyn patiently waited for a Red Panda to come out and, when it did, made this quick sketch of it.|
|Jane S., between a rock and a hard place, practices yoga while sketching.|
|Liz's painting of the 'Crooked House'.|
|Salinda and Dick.|
|Salinda's painting of the aptly named 'Crooked House'.|
|Dick's painting of the same.|
|Jenny and John in the Meadow|
Meanwhile, back in the Zoo, in the rain ...
|Iris and Tammy sketching Sophia the Jaguar. Sophia was sleeping in her cave (that's what cats do best) and and all we could see of her was her head.|
|Leslie's painting of a Red-ruffed Lemur at his feeding dish.|
It was on a branch when I started but went down after I got the sketch drawn so I had to use the one lying down to get the colors. But it climbed up again as I was nearly done, so I was able to use it as a model again. I had to put my umbrella up over me as I finished the painting to prevent any watercolor "surprises"." Leslie
|Dick, left, and Brad|
|Brad's sketch of the Red-ruffed Lemur.|
|Brad's quick sketches of Eloise the (pig-like) Collared Pecarry, a Ring-tailed Lemur, and the African Spurred Tortoise. (Lesson learned: don't use a Tombow when it's raining.)|
|A case of role reversal: Here an artist, Helen, stays dry in the enclosed aviary observation building while the birds flit about in the rain.|
|The Keep-Around Carousel. (Rides were free.)|
|Jane on an eagle and Liz on some hybrid horse/zebra like animal. (Photo by Marilyn)|
|Here comes Liz and Jane again.|
|There goes Jane on her eagle.|
|Oops, here comes the eagle without Jane. What happened to Jane?||(Scroll down to find out*.)|
|from left, Brad, Helen and Marilyn. (Photo by Jenny)|
|Marilyn on a hummingbird and Helen on an anteater. (Photo by Jane S.)|
|Brad on a jaguar. (Photo by Jane S.)|
|Jenny on a shark.|
|John on a fishing cat. (He's too tall for the giraffe.)|
*Don't worry about Jane - she got off the eagle without mishap.