The other Paintsite 'first': Our first ever involvement in a big-time** police action: The Great Scotts Valley Bank Robbery of 2017 no less! It started with a masked desperado holding-up the Scotts Valley B-of-A; followed by a high-speed police & Highway Patrol chase on Hwy 17; car wrecks; a shoot-out with the suspect (who escaped on foot but was captured in SJ on Friday); road blocks and closures until well into the evening --- and there we were, right in the middle of it! Right in the middle along with tens of thousands of other motorists stuck in the backup on Hwy 17.
For additional information about the UCSC Arboretum, see the official website:
For a video of the white hummingbird, see:
- Thursday, February 2, 2017: Winchester Mystery House, San Jose.
- Thursday, February 9, 2017: Historic Santa Clara site TBD.
- Thursday, February 16, 2017: Maryknoll Retirement Residence, Los Altos.
- Thursday, February 23, 2017: Coyote Valley Open Space Preserve, Morgan Hill
Details can be found on the SCVWS website and in the February Newsletter.
Ongoing activities of interest involving Paintsites regulars:
Locale Show' has been extended until February 25, 2017. The
restaurant is located at 431 Kipling St., Palo Alto.
Hours are: Lunch: Tue. - Sun.: 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM. Dinner:
daily: 5:00 - 9:00 PM. The Vino Locale
website is: http://www.vinolocale.com/about-us/
- In addition to her ongoing 2nd & 4th Monday morning Watercolor classes, Kay Duffy is offering a "Collage Workshop" at Hakone Gardens on Saturday, February 11, 2017.
- Kay and her daughter Judy, a photographer, are presenting a "Mother and Daughter Share their 'Visions of Yosemite'" show at the AEgis Gallery (14531 Big Basin Way at 4th St., Saratoga). The show runs from Tuesday, February 28 - Sunday, March 26, 2017. A Reception will be held on Saturday, March 4, 2017, from 4:00 - 7:00 PM. Gallery days/hours are: Tue. - Wed., 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM; Thu. - Sun., 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM. The AEgis Gallery website is: http://www.aegisgallery.com/Aegis_Gallery/visitAegis.php
Painting in the New Zealand, Australian, and South African Gardens ...
|Allen's pastel sketch|
|Helen's painting #1 of a Banksia|
|Helen's painting #2|
|Left to right: Jane S., Liz, and Melanie (photo by Liz)|
|Jane's sketch of a large acacia|
|Jane's finished painting of the acacia|
|Liz's painting of two large sculptures.|
|Melanie's painting of a mighty eucalyptus|
|Jenny's sketch of another huge eucalyptus|
|Jenny's painting #1|
|Jenny's painting #2|
|Lorraine's banksia (right) and ??|
|More eucalypti - these by Mary R. There were still some monarch butterflies in the Eucalyptus Grove.|
|Brad (photo by Liz)|
|Brad's leucadendron (obviously) and ??? in the South African Garden|
Lunch and the Critique: