For more information about Sunset, see their website at:
Note, the gardens are closed from late May until the Celebration Weekend. After that the gardens are free and open to the public - for at least a short time.
- Thursday, May 28, 2015: Guadalupe Oak Grove Park, San Jose - short Hike & Sketch or Sit & Paint.
- Thursday, June 4, 2015: Santa Teresa County Park - long Sit & Paint or Hike & Sketch. Meet for lunch.
- Thursday, June 11, 2015: Los Altos Redwood Grove, Los Altos - we'll paint in the morning, eat lunch then drive to the Los Altos Hills Town Hall to view the current "No Limits - Freedom to Create" exhibit.
- Thursday, June 18, 2015: Agnews Historic Park, Santa Clara
- Saturday, June 20, 2015: Santa Teresa County Park - no Hike & Sketch, just a Sit & Paint
- Thursday, June 25, 2015: San Juan Bautista Mission, San Juan Bautista
Many of the paintings shown are unfinished. Check back again for the completed versions. Also go back a few postings to see new images from the Stanford Cactus Garden.
The main garden consists of a large central lawn dotted with a number of handsome old oaks, a perimeter path and interesting and varied border gardens based on the widely used Sunset Climate Zones. Some of us chose to paint vistas across the lawn at one of the Regional gardens.
|Bonnie's painting looking across the lawn toward the Northern California garden.|
|Caroline, bundled up, working on her sketch, and looking happy|
|Caroline's painting of the Sunset Rose Garden|
|Elaine's painting of the Sunset HQ building and some annual beds - up to the point where a Special Event Taco Truck came in and blocked her view.|
|Marilyn's unfinished painting of two of the grand oaks|
|Nora - a new SCVWS member. She braved the cold day at the Stanford Cactus Garden Weekend Paintsite and, undeterred, joined us for her first Thurday Paint Site.|
|Rich's painting of one of Sunset's mighty oaks.|
While others worked on close-ups in one of the regional or micro gardens ...
|Leslie sketching the Central California garden|
|Leslie's Central California Garden sketch|
|Leslie's painting of an old oak|
|Laurie spent her morning in the Editorial Test Garden where the chickens (not depicted) kept her company.|
|Marlene didn't have time to finish this container garden before special event preparations required the space.|
|Candy in the Pacific Northwest Garden|
|Candy's rhododendrons in the Pacific Northwest Garden|
|Candy's chickens, (used to control snails), in the Test Garden|
|Cathy's grasses looked like fireworks going off - which they really did. (Look like that is, not "go off".)|
|Melanie found a very small, very private, very lovely garden all her own.|
Meanwhile, in the Southwest Desert garden, Matilija poppies in bloom always attract a crowd ...
|Alan started out with just Helen (in blue) in his painting. But then Jane arrived, then Lisha, then Liz, then Alan realized it was a lost cause.|
|Jane's painting of a Matilija poppy.|
|Lisha's painting of Matilija poppy.|
|Liz's Matilija poppy.|