Several members of the group had personal stories from their childhood of visiting mentally ill relatives at Agnews. It was a sad place and a sad experience - this time was certainly better.
For additional information about the Agnews Historic Park, check out the following websites:
- Thursday, June 25, 2015: San Juan Bautista Mission, San Juan Bautista - bring your lunch or join us for take-out from JJ's Homemade Burgers. Many of us will stay after lunch for a second painting.
- Thursday, July 2, 2015: Foothill College Bamboo Garden, Los Altos Hills.
- Thursday, July 9, 2015: Emma Prusch Farm Park, San Jose.
- Thursday, July 16, 2015: Picchetti Ranch Preserve, Cupertino. Either Sit & Paint or Hike & Sketch.
- Saturday, July 18, 2015: Esther Clark Park, Palo Alto - Special start and end times - 8:00 - 9:30 AM to accommodate artists who plan to attend "1 Model, 3 Fabulous Artists, 3 Points of View" paintout at the nearby Los Altos Hills Town Hall.
- Thursday, July 23, 2015: Japanese Friendship Garden, San Jose.
- Thursday, July 30, 2015: Moss Landing - another long drive: paint all morning, lunch together, paint some more after lunch, drive home elated with your day's work.
Of the four historic buildings, the Clock Tower Building was the favorite subject. There are any number of walls at various angles to each other in this building which made anticipating where the shadows (and they were quite distinct) would fall and how they would change over the course of the morning a challenge.
|Candy working on her Clock Tower Building painting - almost done.|
|Candy's Clock Tower Building painting.|
|Cathy's finished painting of the Clock Tower Building.|
|Helen smiles while she works on the Clock Tower ....|
|... and she had good reason to smile.|
|Kathy joins us for her second SCVWS Paintsite|
|Kathy's unfinished painting focused on the state flag.|
|Leslie worked closest to the Clock Tower Building and was best able to appreciate the building's architectural details and elaborate brickwork.|
|Leslie's painting of the Clock Tower Building.|
|John was fully prepared to deal with "Is it Spring or Summer?" dilemma|
|John's sketch of the Clock Tower.|
|and his second, finished painting of the Clock Tower|
|Brad's painting of the Clock Tower. Leslie challenged me to include some figures. So I did -- really big figures - they had to stoop to go thru the front door.|
The Auditorium, not quite as dramatic a building but equally handsome and equally rich in detail, was also a worthy subject ...
|Alan wrapping things up for the lunch break.|
|Alan's finished painting of the Auditorium.|
|Nora's painting of a magnolia in front of the Auditorium. (I've tried to paint magnolias a number of times in the past with no success. Now that I see how it's done, I'll give it another try.)|
|(Elaine's unfinished painting of the Administration Building.)|
|(Bonnie's painting of Mary with the Administration Building in the background.)|
|and Iris and her daughter.|
|Iris' painting of the Admin Building.|
|Iris' daughter's pastel of some of the fine old trees at Agnews|
|Liz forgot her chair but made the best of it and persevered. Little did she realize that others were watching her.|
|Iris's painting of Liz.|
|Leslie's sketch of Liz.|