For additional information about New Almaden, the County Park and Casa Grande, see:
- Thursday, July 28, 2016: Downtown Los Altos with potluck lunch to follow at a member's nearby home. (See the Members Only / Paintsites Detail webpage and the Sunday, July 24th e-notification for directions to the potluck.)
- Thursday, August 4, 2016: Uvas Canyon County Park Hike & Sketch (Waterfall Trail) or Sit & Paint, Morgan Hill
- Thursday, August 11, 2016: Moffett Field Historical Society Museum, Mt. View
- Thursday, August 18, 2016: Harris-Lass House, Santa Clara
Ongoing events of interest involving Paintsites regulars:
- Rich Bloechl's show at the Campbell Library in downtown Campbell (77 Harrison Ave., adjacent to the Ainsley House. Open Mon. - Tue. 1:00 - 9:00 PM; Wed. 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM and Thu. - Sat. 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM) has been held over thru the end of July. (There are new paintings in the show.)
- John Ediger will be gallery-sitting at the AZ Gallery (1213 Lincoln Ave., Suite #106, San Jose) on Friday, August 5th, from 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM. In addition to John, several other SCVWS members have paintings in the gallery.
- Candy Yu's one-woman show runs thru August 6th in the Cupertino Library, 10800 Torre Ave., in the Cupertino Civic Center Plaza. Hours are: Mon. - Thu. 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM; Fri. - Sat. 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM; and Sun. noon - 6:00 PM.
- Mary Raftery and Laurie Barna are in the Haggin Art Museum's 59th Annual Juried National Exhibition. Located in Stockton, the Haggin is famous for its outstanding fine art collection. The show runs July 7 - September 11, 2016.
- The SCVWS Summer Palette exhibit continues its run (thru August 26th) at the Hobee's restaurant at 680 River Oaks Parkway in San Jose. Hours of operation are: Mon. - Fri. 7:00 AM - 2:30 PM; Sat. 8:00 AM - 2:30 PM; Sun. 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM. (This Hobee's serves breakfast & lunch only.)
The historic site signage was very informative and saved me the effort of describing the site.
|Rich's painting of St. Anthony's apse(?). Note the handsome lancet (pointed) windows which make a statement in this otherwise modest structure.|
|Candy's 1st painting - this one of St. Anthony's.|
|Joy's painting of St. Anthony's.|
|Dicks' unfinished painting of the entrance to St. Anthony's.|
|Left to right: Marilyn, Lisha, Kathy W., and Lois in St. Anthony's parking lot.|
|Kathy's painting of the entrance. The sign popped up when it was time to stop ---- something most all watercolorists need.|
|Lisha's painting of the entrance. One more brushstroke and the 'Stop' sign would have appeared here too.|
|Lois' journal entry for St. Antony's.|
|Marilyn is experimenting with incorporating some "journaling" techniques into her paintings with happy results.|
|Salinda painted St. Anthony's from curbside for a different viewpoint.|
|Salinda's unfinished painting of St. Anthony's.|
|Annie's painting of the entrance to La Foret.|
|Ji-eun set-up a little further down Bertram Rd. ...|
|... from where she caught just a corner of the restaurant and the Community Center in the background.|
|Joe set-up on Almaden Way where it crosses Alamitos Creek for his take on La Foret.|
|Joe's painting of La Foret.|
|Candy's second painting - this one of La Foret.|
Marilyn found a very informative map showing 32 historical buildings in New Almaden so there are many interesting little buildings to paint on both Almaden Rd. and Bertram Rd. between St. Anthony's and Casa Grande.
|Broncha's painting of the historic Carson-Perham Adobe.|
|Bobbi's painting of another of the historic adobes.|
There were a number of very large (and presumably old) eucalyptus in New Almaden which merited our attention ....
|Candy's 3rd painting - this of a eucalyptus.|
|Lois's journal entry of a very stringy barked eucalyptus.|
|Not a rugged eucalyptus! A dainty, delicate lily by Mary P.|
Lunch by Alamitos Creek couldn't have been more pleasant....
|Lunch (photo by Rich)|