Paintsites regulars Dick and Salinda had to miss the paintout as Dick is recovering from surgery. But nothing that will stop him from working on his cartoon blog - check it out.
- Thursday, December 29, 2016: Bonus Paintout in Los Altos to make up for two December rainouts! Watch for e-notification for details
- Thursday, January 5, 2017: Wildwood Park, Saratoga
- Sunday, January 8, 2017: Deadline to register for SCVWS Annual Holiday Party. See website for details and instructions about registering on the Members Only webpage.
- Thursday, January 12, 2017: Historic Santa Clara Site to be Determined.
- Saturday, January 14, 2017: SCVWS Annual Holiday Party - 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM. See link on the SCVWS website home page for details
- Thursday, January 19, 2017: Guadalupe Oak Grove Park, San Jose
- Thursday, January 26, 2017: Santa Cruz Arboretum, UCSC.
Ongoing activities of interest involving Paintsites regulars:
- The 'Vino
Locale Show' continues its run thru February 6, 2017. The
restaurant is located at 431 Kipling St., Palo Alto.
Hours are: Lunch: Tue. - Sun.: 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM. Dinner:
daily: 5:00 - 9:00 PM. Do yourself a favor: Go eat, drink, buy some fine artwork -- give your favorite artist a painting he/she will treasure. The Vino Locale
website is: http://www.vinolocale.com/about-us/
- Candy Yu's show at the Foothill Presbyterian Church, 5301 McKee Rd., San Jose runs thru the end of December. This is a busy time of year for churches so call (408) 258-8133, before visiting to make sure the exhibit will be accessible.
- John Ediger will be gallery-sitting at the Az Gallery (1213 Lincoln Ave., San Jose) on Thursday, January 19, 2017 from 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM. Drop in and say 'hello'.
- Cathy Belleville is exhibiting 18 of her Palo Alto Baylands paintings at the Sequoias of Portola Valley (340 Willowbrook Dr. just off 501 Portola Rd.) from January 3rd - 30th. An Opening Reception will be held on Sunday, January 8th from 2:30 - 4:30 PM. Please RSVP to Cathy at email@example.com if you'd like to attend.
- As many times as we've painted at Stanford, the imposing Hoover Tower was seldom a popular subject. Not so this time, however, as we all took a swing at the Big Building On Campus.
|Jane P.'s painting of Hoover Tower from the Quad.|
|Jane S.'s close-up peek at Hoover Tower thru the trees.|
|... and John's ...|
|... and Marilyn's.|
|Brad set-up at the opposite end of the Quad from Hoover Tower.|
|Columns, roof beams, arches, windows and doors in the sandstone wall, and shadows all contributed to a study in perspective.|
|Marilyn's unfinished sketch of White Fountain. The last time we visited Stanford water restrictions kept the fountain dry --- this time there was a riot of spurting, colliding, cascading jets of water. Marilyn hopes to finish this and capture it all.|
|Lunch in the Quad: left to right - Marilyn, Jane S., Jane P., and John. (Note the wonderful long, sharp shadows that we got to play with!)|
|"Morning Glow in the Mountains" by Tom Ayers|
- On his way back from a workshop in Zion, John visited Rosalie & Tom Ayers at their new home in Roseville. Tom sent this card for John to share with the Paintsites group.