In addition to the confusing parking regulations and the balky Pay Station (bring bills only and multiple credit cards as some aren't accepted), we're still trying to figure out if the "Please Stay Off the Grass" signs were intended for the hundreds of Canada Geese in the park or for us. For all the good it did in either case, the signs might as well have said "Please Stay On the Grass". And for the geese: "And Don't Bother Cleaning Up After Yourselves" ---which they didn't!. And for the artists: "Mind Where You Step" --- which we did!
For additional information about the Japanese Friendship Garden, see:
For parking information, see:
- Thursday, July 30, 2015: Moss Landing - our big mid-Summer road trip. Plan to make a long day of it. Bring a lunch or dine in one of the quaint little restaurants in town with fellow artists.
- Thursday, August 6, 2015: Private Garden - members only. (Go to the "Paintsites Details" web page from the "Members Only Home Page" for details.)
- Thursday, August 13, 2015: Westwind Community Barn, Los Altos Hills.
- Thursday, August 20, 2015: Warner Hutton House, Saratoga, and, after lunch, the Saratoga Library where we'll take in the "Shades of Summer" exhibit.
- Thursday, August 27, 2015: Palo Alto Baylands Nature Preserve, Palo Alto.
Undoubtedly the most interesting architectural feature in the park is the bright red bridge leading from the "mainland" to a small island. It's definitely a magnet for plein air painters -- no "Paint Me" sign needed.
|The Red Bridge or, as Alan dubbed it - "The Bridge Over the River Quack", and some of us.|
|Helen's panoramic sketch of the lake, shore to shore, and the red bridge.|
|Helen's finished painting of the lake.|
|Janice and Sylvia|
|Sylvia's painting of the red bridge.|
|John's painting of the red bridge and the little island.|
|John, Melanie and Broncha|
|Melanie's finished painting|
|Laurie and one of her many feathered friends.|
|Laurie's painting of the bridge and the island. (Note: Laurie's "Artist of the Month" exhibit will be up in the San Jose University Art store thru the end of July.)|
|Marilyn with the notorious Goose Gang in the background|
|Nora painting the bridge from the far shore. |
|The Main Entrance Gate by Broncha.|
|A stone lantern across the lake painted by Lisha. |
|Liz's unfinished painting of one of the artfully placed stones and a solitary pine tree.|
|Dan at the Upper-to-Lower pond waterfall. (photo by Liz)|
|Brad's painting of the lower pond with a peek of the Tea House under the weeping willows.|
As if we hadn't enough of fowl (primarily chickens) at recent paintsites, seems we can't get enough of sketching & painting them. Come back next week and see how we've handled Moss Landing's pelicans and gulls.
|Sylvia's watercolor sketches of some Canada Geese.|
|Helen's watercolor sketches of some more Canada Geese.|
|Left to right: John, Laurie, Marilyn, Sylvia, Janice, Broncha, Alan, Melanie, and Helen|