As California eases its shelter in place mandates, some of us are venturing further afield. If you are out and about, remember to check online to see what parks and open space areas are open, as well as their parking and restroom restrictions. Be careful, observe social distancing and wear a mask when others are in the area.
We will continue to publish the weekly blog during the "Shelter in Place" requirements while Thursday and Weekend paintsites are cancelled. We invite paintsite artists to paint or sketch during the week, pick one painting from that week and submit it by Saturday of that week. Here are some guidelines:
- Submit a digital photo of your artwork to firstname.lastname@example.org. Cropped photos are preferred.
- Include your name, the date and comments about the site or unique media notes.
- Be creative! Some of your best subjects are in or around your home. You may want to paint from personal photos of your travels.
- Submissions after Saturday midnight will appear in the following week's blog.
- One submission per member, please.
Please check the SCVWS.org website for Paintsites updates and the SCVWS Newsletter for some great art opportunities during this time.
Hidden Villa in Los Altos Hills is currently closed and we have had to cancel our planned paintsite there; nevertheless, they have invited us to participate in their Art Contest jointly sponsored by the Los Altos Town Crier. We have painted at Hidden Villa many times in the past, and it is very likely that you already have a painting that would be suitable for this contest. Here are the details:
- Prompt: Depict your favorite place at Hidden Villa
- Medium: Your choice of 2D visual art medium (paint, sketch, pastels, crayons, etc.)
- Age: For all ages! There will be prizes for three age groups: 9 & Under, 10-17, 18+
- Prizes: First place winners will receive their choice of Hidden Villa strawberries, olive oil, or a floral bouquet. Second and third place winners will receive 3 free day passes. All winners will be published by the LATC.
- Submission: To submit, email a photo or scan of the artwork, with the title and the artist's name and age to email@example.com by June 21st. May specify age as "18+. Include a photo of the artist holding the piece as well, and Hidden Villa may feature it on their social media!
|Flowering cactus by Indira|
|"Photo taken in Santa Fe last year features a historic adobe. The upstairs room being used by a dress maker. Like a secret space beaconing you to explore." by Elaine G.|
|Magnolia blossom from her backyard tree by Alison|
|Matilija poppy with gouache paints by Jane S.|
|"Shoreline Boathouse" painted first week of June from photo taken at beginning of week by Leslie G.|
|"It’s sunny day" Painted at wildwood park in Saratoga by Helen C.|
|McClellan Ranch Preserve from a photo of the group’s trip to the ranch preserve in Cupertino by Mary R.|
Wildwood Park by Lisha
|Edith Morely Park by Dick|
|Edith Morley City Park by Salinda|
|Douglas Iris by Annie|