As California eases its shelter in place mandates, some of us are venturing further afield. If you are out and about, remember to check online to see what parks and open space areas are open, as well as their parking and restroom restrictions. Be careful, observe social distancing and wear a mask when others are in the area.
We will continue to publish the weekly blog during the "Shelter in Place" requirements while Thursday and Weekend paintsites are cancelled. We invite paintsite artists to paint or sketch during the week, pick one painting from that week and submit it by Saturday of that week. Here are some guidelines:
- Submit a digital photo of your artwork to email@example.com. Cropped photos are preferred.
- Include your name, the date and comments about the site or unique media notes.
- Be creative! Some of your best subjects are in or around your home. You may want to paint from personal photos of your travels.
- Submissions after Saturday midnight will appear in the following week's blog.
- One submission per member, please.
Please check the SCVWS.org website for Paintsites updates and the SCVWS Newsletter for some great art opportunities during this time. Our paintsite leaders and board are having discussions about when we can resume our Thursday and Weekend group outings. Check the newsletter and website for announcements.
Hidden Villa in Los Altos Hills is currently closed and we have had to cancel our planned paintsite there; nevertheless, they have invited us to participate in their Art Contest jointly sponsored by the Los Altos Town Crier. We have painted at Hidden Villa many times in the past, and it is very likely that you already have a painting that would be suitable for this contest. Here are the details:
Important! Submissions have closed. Watch this site for results.
- Prompt: Depict your favorite place at Hidden Villa
- Medium: Your choice of 2D visual art medium (paint, sketch, pastels, crayons, etc.)
- Age: For all ages! There will be prizes for three age groups: 9 & Under, 10-17, 18+
- Prizes: First place winners will receive their choice of Hidden Villa strawberries, olive oil, or a floral bouquet. Second and third place winners will receive 3 free day passes. All winners will be published by the LATC.
- Submission: To submit, email a photo or scan of the artwork, with the title and the artist's name and age to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 21st. May specify age as "18+. Include a photo of the artist holding the piece as well, and Hidden Villa may feature it on their social media!
|Coyote Valley Open Space, by Elaine|
|Sweet Peas, by Jane S.|
Comment: "This is for you, Marilyn."
|Succulent by Leslie|
Comment: Leslie says she spotted this in a neighboring condo yard.
|Valley View, Mount Madonna, by Dick|
|Valley View, Mount Madonna, by Salinda|
|Blooms at Filoli, from a personal photo by Mary R.|
|Rocky Shore, by Joe|
This is lavender blooming season. Several stalwart artists donned their masks and headed out to Frederick's Field in the Almaden Valley. Some visited on Thursday, others on Saturday. Even though there were several familiar faces, this was not a Society event.