For additional info about the park, see the official website:
- Thursday, May 19, 2016: Sawyer Camp Trail (10:00 AM = regular time) and/or Filoli Artist Access Day. 3:30 - 6:30 PM. (Pre-registration required: there may still be open slots - check http://www.filoli.org/art-exhibits/#artistaccess to find out if it's still possible to join the group.)
- Thursday, May 26, 2016: Anna Cook's Mexican Garden, Saratoga
- Thursday, June 2, 2016: Rancho San Antonio, Cupertino - Hike & Sketch or Sit & Paint.
- Thursday, June 9, 2016: Allied Arts, Menlo Park
- Thursday, June 16, 2016: Vasona County Park, Los Gatos
- Thursday, June 23, 2016: Sierra Azul Nursery & Garden, Watsonville
- Thursday, June 30, 2016: Duc Vien Buddhist Pagoda, San Jose
Other ongoing and upcoming local events of interest to plein air painters:
- Through Friday, May 27, 2016: SCVWS Member Show "H2O Works" at the Presentation Center in Los Gatos. For details see the SCVWS Home page: http://www.scvws.org/.
- Saturday and Sunday, May 21 - 22, 2106: Final weekend of the Silicon Valley Open Studios. (Northern Santa Clara County and the Coast.) The SVOS catalog can be viewed online at: http://www.svos.org/
- Sunday, May 22, 2016: Registration deadline for the Filoli "Valley of Hearts Delight" juried exhibit. See the "Prospectus" and "Call for Entries" at http://www.filoli.org/art-exhibits/#valleyofthehearts, and https://onlinejuriedshows.com/Default.aspx?OJSID=8624
|But, before we even left the parking lot, Marilyn found a place from which to view (using her spotting scope) the Lick Observatory and start a painting.|
|Marilyn's finished painting of the Lick Observatory.|
OK, here we are in the Historic section of the park, the first stop for everybody ...
(Note: some of the paintings which follow are "finished", others are 30 minute sketches before The Hikers hit the trail.)
|Nice old building, nice shady old trees, nice (but not old) focused artists ...|
|Joy's first painting. This one is the Rose Garden fence (left) and the Arbor (right) leading to another ranch house.|
|Liz: best ever plein air artist/botanist -- especially when it comes to identifying and painting wildflowers.|
|Liz's sketches included one of the old Hotel, one of one of us, and several botanicals.|
|Katherine's painting of the Hotel.|
|Lisha's painting of the same.|
|Jenny and Sylvia|
|Jenny's unfinished painting of the water tower and back of the hotel.|
|Sylvia's painting of the same.|
|Nora's painting of the hills and oaks behind the Hotel. (The trail is the same one The Hikers took - but in the opposite direction.)|
|Salinda's painting from near the Hotel looking at the gateway to Hall's Valley and the hills above the valley.|
|Broncha, situated a little below where Salinda set-up, painted the same subjects.|
|Joy's second painting of the same.|
|Helen's painting is of the area little to the left of Salinda's, Broncha's and Joy's - the small frame building is the same one they depict.|
|Dick's painting of an overgrown, barely still-standing ranch house.|
|Carole in the historic Rose Garden|
On the Hotel Trail:
|I should have listened to Sylvia at the first fork in the road (next time I will) but eventually we got on the correct trail (photo by Salinda).|
|We stop to check out some the many species of wildflowers.|
It was considerably warmer than we anticipated so we decided to stop under the first shady spot on the trail for our initial sketch....
|Carole's painting of close-up vetch on the hillside sloping into Hall's Valley.|
|Jenny's fetching vetches in Hall's Valley.|
|Lisha's painting of same.|
|Heading home ...|
No adventures this time, just another great day of painting.