Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Mixing Grays at Wildwood Park, Saratoga. October 11th 2012

The premise of this special was learning to mix interesting grayed colors for landscapes. We had another fun day learning from reference materials and, most of all, from each other.

Checking out our color mixing charts   (photo courtesy of Anna Jacke)
Artists and their paintings of Wildwood Park
Mary Paquet's wonderful color chart. Not only instructive but delightful to look at too!
Anna Jacke
Gray clouds hung overhead at Wildwood Park, making the perfect landscape setting for our theme - mixing grays.  I enjoyed the exercises in mixing primary colors and allowing my paints to blend on paper in the creation of tree trunks, branches, walkways and gray clouds. There was even a bit of mist in the distance. Anna


Mary Paquet
While painting the old Eucalyptus trunk, I used greys made from cerulean blue and alizarin crimson and ultrmarine blue, raw sienna, and alizarin crimson. The greens were mainly sap green and burnt sienna an ultramarine blue and raw sienna with some touches of red. Mary

Brad Santos
 I felt the 'mixing greys' session, where we shared our techniques and results and then applied them, was a great success. I also came away with some concepts that were new for me. And, I was quite pleased with what I'd done until I got home and showed my little painting to Janice. She said she thought we were supposed to be mixing greys but my painting looked more like we'd worked on 'mixing browns'. Re-examining my painting, darned if she wasn't right! It took some fancy footwork to explain that I was just getting a head start on the next big 'mixing' session --- browns! Brad


Sylvia Waddell
The color mixing session was a great tool to get me thinking about exactly what colors I wanted to create and how to mix them. I so often just randomly dip into my palette and hope for the best! Sylvia



Jenny Tero
All the lessons learned during the mixing grays exercise flew away when I actually came to do this, so I have no idea what colors I used, but it sort-of worked.

Caroline Garborino


No comments:

Post a Comment