Sunday, December 16, 2012

Weekend Site Stanford Campus December 15 2012



It was a bitterly cold and damp morning. In spite of the weather, six enthusiastic artists painted on the Stanford Campus. I enjoyed the rich possibilities that the venue offers, in terms of subject matter, and the company and conversations at the lunch table following the morning paint session were wonderful. Rajit


Dick Zunkel

The Stanford campus offers a tremendous selection of view to paint. I chose an arch facing the statuary rather than trying to capture the grand vista of the plaza.  The rendering is in pen and ink with Pelikan watercolor wash on Canson 140 lb. block. Dick




The Newtown shooting was on my mind as I came to Stanford, my school. I was heartbroken and the weather helped me to mull over what had just happened. The usually vibrant everything Stanford looked despondent wherever I turned my head. My choice of colors, treatment and the last sketch of the person I drew goes to show to me now (I didn't realize as I was painting) that what the mind feels, the hand puts on paper. Uma

Uma Kelkar

Technically speaking - The humidity played a huge roll in how the colors mixed. The temperature played a huge roll in how long we meddled with our colors. The speed of drying was slow, but decision making time was largely dependent on if you remembered to bring gloves with you or not. Uma

Uma Kelkar
Technically speaking - The humidity played a huge roll in how the colors mixed. The temperature played a huge roll in how long we meddled with our colors. The speed of drying was slow, but decision making time was largely dependent on if you remembered to bring gloves with you or not. Uma




Brad Santos

I've read about artists suffering for their art. On Saturday at Stanford, we just plain suffered --- from the cold. Plus I suffered because of my art - I bit off more than I could chew on my first painting and was both cold and disgruntled. But after our (thankfully indoor) lunch break, fortified by the lovely chocolate truffles Rajit provided, I gave it another try and was much happier with the results. The rain had driven most everybody out of the quad (except us artists), caused the palms to droop a little more than usual, and the cloisters had a deserted, appropriately monastic feeling.    Hoover Tower, however, still stood proud & strong. Brad




Rajit Chandra

Rajit Chandra
I sketched the figures from Rodin’s Les Bourgeois de Calais and then decided to paint the Quad and returned to the figures later after lunch. Rajit

Sylvia Waddell
I came across some wonderful still models in the quad - a meditation group seated on the ground. However, despite their stillness my rendering of them was rather poor.  I had more luck with a quick sketch of these statues, drawn directly with the brush. Sylvia



1 comment:

  1. Paintsite artists are a hardy bunch! Love the freshness of the work that captures the essence of this lovely campus.

    ReplyDelete