As California eases its shelter in place mandates, some of us are venturing further afield. If you are out and about, remember to check online to see what parks and open space areas are open, as well as their parking and restroom restrictions. Be careful, observe social distancing and wear a mask when others are in the area.
We will continue to publish the weekly blog during the "Shelter in Place" requirements while Thursday and Weekend paintsites are cancelled. We invite paintsite artists to paint or sketch during the week, pick one painting from that week and submit it by Saturday of that week. Here are some guidelines:
- Submit a digital photo of your artwork to firstname.lastname@example.org. Cropped photos are preferred.
- Include your name, the date and comments about the site or unique media notes.
- Be creative! Some of your best subjects are in or around your home. You may want to paint from personal photos of your travels.
- Submissions after Saturday midnight will appear in the following week's blog.
- One submission per member, please.
Please check the SCVWS.org website for Paintsites updates and the SCVWS Newsletter for some great art opportunities during this time.
Hidden Villa in Los Altos Hills is currently closed and we have had to cancel our planned paintsite there; nevertheless, they have invited us to participate in their Art Contest jointly sponsored by the Los Altos Town Crier. We have painted at Hidden Villa many times in the past, and it is very likely that you already have a painting that would be suitable for this contest. Here are the details:
- Prompt: Depict your favorite place at Hidden Villa
- Medium: Your choice of 2D visual art medium (paint, sketch, pastels, crayons, etc.)
- Age: For all ages! There will be prizes for three age groups: 9 & Under, 10-17, 18+
- Prizes: First place winners will receive their choice of Hidden Villa strawberries, olive oil, or a floral bouquet. Second and third place winners will receive 3 free day passes. All winners will be published by the LATC.
- Submission: To submit, email a photo or scan of the artwork, with the title and the artist's name and age to email@example.com by June 21st. May specify age as "18+. Include a photo of the artist holding the piece as well, and Hidden Villa may feature it on their social media!
|Rich's value study of the shadows on the pool shed|
|Elaine G's watercolor sketch of "a small man-made stream at |
Edith Morley Park in Campbell."
|Matilija Poppies by Jane S|
|Purple Asparagus by Alison|
|Marilyn's watercolor of rose blooms in their prime at |
the San Jose Municipal Rose Garden
|Helen's watercolor sketch from Edith Morley Park|
|Annie's gouache painting of the Fortini Trail|
at Santa Teresa County Park
|"Dry Dock" by Dick painted at Alviso|
|Salinda's watercolor of the "Dry Dock" at Alviso|