Sunday, April 12, 2020

Week 4, April 5 to April 11, 2020

We SCVWS paintsite artists are keeping our painting skills limber and our minds free from worry during this stressful time by doing what we enjoy while we are sheltering in place. This week some of us painted en plein air in our own gardens while others painted from our own personal photographs.

We will continue to publish the weekly blog during the "Shelter in Place" requirements while Thursday and Weekend paintsites are cancelled.  We invite paintsite artists to paint or sketch on your own time during the week, pick one painting from that week and submit it by Saturday of that week. Here are some guidelines:


  • submit a photo of your artwork for the blog to paintsites@scvws.org
  • include your name and any comments e.g. location, date or what inspired you
  • photos which are cropped and ready to upload are preferred
  • painting/sketching subjects might include objects or views in your garden, views from your window, house plants, or something inspired by personal photographs


For information about upcoming paintsites (when possible) and SCVWS activities (including online activities), see the SCVWS website or the April newsletter for details.

Take care, stay well, and for any concerns or questions regarding the cancellations or blog posts, please contact us at paintsites@scvws.org



It's Sunny by Helen

Michael at Gamble Gardens by Caroline G.

Chef Chu’s, Los Altos by Tanvi

Pigeon Point by Rich
 Rich says, "I wasn't able to participate in the plein air visit to Pigeon Point Lighthouse, and I always wanted to paint there, so I did the next best thing. I used a Google Earth street view image to create this "faux" plein air view."

Dave at Gamble Gardens by Caroline G.

 Wunderlich by Mary R.
Mary says, "Here’s my sketch from painting at home yesterday- it’s from an image taken during our trip to Wunderlich Park in the spring a few years ago." 

Shadows in Trees.  Plein air at Santa Cruz Arboretum by Salinda

Slow Race  by Dick
 Dick says, "Salinda and I drove back roads from Reno to Arcata, CA We came across a forest full of old cars and trucks." 

Mom's Back Yard by Toni
 Toni says, "Here is a sketch and painting from my mom’s back yard. I tried to capture the bright spring glow of blooming geraniums against the dark shadows."

Indira's painting of rain-soaked Cyclamen

Sham's painting from a personal photograph

Iris by Alison
Alison says, "Trying to compare my wild iris and other iris in my yard."

Great Egret by Leslie G.
Leslie says, "This is a great egret,  from a photo I took as I walked along Permanente Creek this week." 

Acorn Woodpecker by Marilyn
 Marilyn says, "This lady acorn woodpecker, storing up food in the granary snag, was my painting buddy the last time SCVWS paintsite artists visited Rancho San Antonio back in November 2017." 

Wren and Towel by Kathy
 Kathy says, "Here is a pencil sketch of a Bewick's wren in a plant on my patio (sketched from a photo). I was inspired by Annie's towel painting last week, so I did a watercolor sketch of a towel as well.​" 

View Through my Kitchen Window by Jane S.
Jane says, "This is the view through my kitchen window. The lantana and white Pacific Iris are so beautiful together." 

Clouds Over Santa Teresa by Annie
Annie says, "Trying out David Smith clouds after watching his demo." 

No comments:

Post a Comment